MHG27237 - Township, Caolasmor
Type and Period (1)
- TOWNSHIP (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
NG80NE 8 8924 0697
A township, comprising three roofed, two unroofed buildings and an open sided enclosure is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Inverness-shire 1876, sheet lxxviii). Two roofed buildings and one partially roofed building are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1971).
Information from RCAHMS (AKK) 1 August 1996.
This is the area around the occupied cottages and buildings, none of which were included in the archaeological survey of Inner Loch Hourn recorded by NOSAS in 2002. From the public records and other sources, there is some historical information available on Caolasmor and the people who lived there, certainly relating to the latter part of the l9th century and of the 20th century. Caolasmor has a sheltered bay providing safe but relatively shallow anchorage with strong currents further out. There was a focus on fishing activity at Caolasmor at one time, and that a forester stayed there for several decades in the late 19th century, and a tailor. The forester also had an assistant at one time. Significantly, there are no temporary huts here. The NOSAS report noted that more detailed survey work is needed to explore the higher slopes for sheilings, boundary walls and peat cuttings. <1>
1st Edition OS 6" <2>
NGR adjusted based on 1999-2001 APs <3>
<1> Wombell, J., 04/2002, Archaeological Survey of Inner Loch Hourn, p.39/40 Sites 28-30, 276-279 (Text/Report/Fieldwork Report). SHG21677.
<2> Ordnance Survey, 1873-6, Ordnance Survey 1st edition 6 inch map: Inverness-shire (Image/Map). SHG23755.
<3> Get Mapping, 1999-2001, Get Mapping colour vertical aerial photography 1999-2001 (The Millennium Map) (Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical). SHG27491.
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Wombell, J.. 04/2002. Archaeological Survey of Inner Loch Hourn. North of Scotland Archaeological Society (NOSAS). 04/04/2002. Digital. p.39/40 Sites 28-30, 276-279.
- <2> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1873-6. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 6 inch map: Inverness-shire. Digital. XY
- <3> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 1999-2001. Get Mapping colour vertical aerial photography 1999-2001 (The Millennium Map).
|Grid reference||Centred NG 8922 0694 (182m by 103m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (3)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/117938 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.