MHG33351 - King's Causeway

Summary

No summary available.

Type and Period (1)

  • CAUSEWAY (Medieval - 1058 AD to 1559 AD)

Protected Status

Full Description

King's causeway is depicted on the current OS map.
J Aitken : 09/06/04
------

This record refers to the physical remains of the King's Causeway, which was noted by the Ordnance Survey in 1966. It was described as consisting of a turf-covered track 5.2m wide, c.80m long, flanked by ditches and revetted with large stones. Deturfing of a section at NH 7665 7799 by Tain schoolchildren in June 1972 revealed the roughly paved roadway 5.3m wide flanked by silted ditches. <1>

This fragment of the King's Causeway is very similar in character to features identified further south as belonging to a postulated early roadway through the Earldom of Ross. Two ditches run either side of an approximately 7m wide, occasionally cambered, surface. <2>


<1> RCAHMS, Canmore, online database of the Royal Commission for the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS), 14544 (Interactive Resource/Online Database). SHG23282.


<2> McCullagh, C and MacKenzie, A, 2010, North of Scotland Archaeological Society: Road through Ross Project (Text/Manuscript). SHG25356.

Sources/Archives (2)

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred NH 7664 7791 (62m by 224m)
Map sheet NH77NE
Geographical Area ROSS AND CROMARTY
Civil Parish TAIN

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (2)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (3)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.