MHG3336 - Beauly Priory
Beauly Priory was founded in about 1230 by one of the Bisset family.
Type and Period (1)
- PRIORY (Medieval to 19th Century - 1058 AD to 1900 AD)
Beauly Priory was founded in about 1230 by one of the Bisset family who were lords of the Aird to the west of Inverness. It later came under the protection of the Frasers of Lovat, who made some additions to the buildings. Towards the end of the Middle Ages the priory underwent a revival under the leadership of Robert Reid, abbot of Kinloss. By that time it had transferred its allegiance from the Valliscaulian to Cistercian order.
(NH 5276 4649) Priory (NR) (In Ruins)
OS 6"map, Inverness-shire, 2nd ed., (1907)
Full description in MoW guide
W D Simpson 1954
The Priory was listed at Category A in 1971.
Beauly Priory is as described in the attached guide. It is under the care of the Dept of Environment and open to the general public.
Visited by OS (J B) 23 June 1975
The priory and its surrounding graveyard were scheduled by Historic Scotland in 1995.
Church now roofless.
The statutory designations for the site were reassessed by Historic Environment Scotland in 2018 as part of their national Dual Designations Project. It was proposed that the site would be delisted but that it would remain a Scheduled Monument. <1>
The proposed designation changes by Historic Environment Scotland came into effect as of 12/03/2018. <2>
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Barron, J. 1898. 'Monasteries in the north - Beauly Priory', Trans Inverness Sci Soc Fld Club Vol. 4 1888-95. Trans Inverness Sci Soc Fld Club. 130-7.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1979. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of North-east Inverness, Inverness District, Highland Region. . 23, No. 171.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Simpson, W D. 1954. Beauly Priory, Inverness-shire. plan.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: T.P.White, R.E., F.S.A., S.C.O.T.. 1871. 'Notice of the priory church of Beauly, Inverness-shire.', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 8 1870, p.430-64. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 430-64. 430-64.
- <1> Text/Designation Notification/List of Buildings: Historic environment Scotland Designations Team. 2018. Designation Assessment: Beauly Priory. Historic Environment Scotland. 15/02/2018. Digital.
- <2> Text/Designation Notification/List of Buildings: Historic Environment Scotland. 2018. Delisting and Scheduling Notification - LB7129. Historic Environment Scotland. 13/03/2018. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 5276 4649 (50m by 29m)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (2)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM90031 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/12700 (View HES Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.