MHG35181 - Battery Observation Post - Coast Battery, North Sutor
BOP associated with the Second World War Site 6 inch battery site.
Type and Period (1)
- BATTERY OBSERVATION POST (Second World War - 1939 AD to 1945 AD)
World War II brick and shuttered concrete battery observation post situated about 157m E and downslope from the gun-emplacements (NH86NW 9.02) and adjacent to the three level World War I Battery Observation post (MHG35177). The structure has a large viewing platform with canopy and stands on a rectangular base. The block below the viewing platform is angular in design. Internally, on the observation platform a ranging pillar survives. The canopy is now heavily warped with the steel support beam having been removed and is now in a potentially dangerous condition. Metal fixings for a drainpipe were noted on the ENE elevation. Camouflage survives on this building, but whether it is contemporary World War II paint is not known.
Visited by RCAHMS, August 2000 and May 2002
See link below to HES Canmore record for photos of the site. <1>
GIS spatial data copied from data supplied by AKK from the RCAHMS World War One Survey Project. <2>
The North Sutor camps, batteries and associated buildings and features were scheduled by Historic Environment Scotland with effect from 26/03/2019. <3>
For other installations associated with the Second World War 6 inch battery site, see also MHG35180, MHG35177, MHG35179, MHG35183, MHG 38497, MHG46669, MHG46670, MHG59141, MHG59174, MHG59896, MHG59178, MHG34271, MHG35182.
- <1> Interactive Resource/Online Database: RCAHMS. Canmore, online database of the Royal Commission for the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS). 170753.
- <2> Collection/Project Archive: Kilpatrick, A K. 2014. RCAHMS World War One Survey Project. Digital. No. 661. XY
- <3> Text/Designation Notification/Scheduled Monument: Historic Environment Scotland. 2019. Addition to the Schedule of Monuments: SM13570: North Sutor Battery, batteries and camps. Historic Environment Scotland. 27/03/2019. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 8215 6896 (9m by 9m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM13570 (View online HES designation record)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/170753 (View HES Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.