MHG4210 - Township - Harris North, Rhum
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- TOWNSHIP (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
Ruined, at confluence of burn with S burn 20-40m OD
NM39NW 8 338 959
The township of Harris comprises thirty-seven buildings ranging in size from 12.9m by 4.6m to 3.4m by 2.2m, although the majority are between 5m and 10m in length and between 2.5m and 4m in width between thick drystone walls. Whilst many of the buildings probably relate to the immediately pre-clearance period, at least five are earlier and others may be so (see also NM 39 NW 9). Around the township its fields of rig-and-furrow cultivation remain largely undisturbed by later activity. Harris may be the settlement named 'Kaming' on Pont's map. (See also NM 39 NW 9.)
Visited by RCAHMS May 1983
J Blaeu 1654; J Love 1983; RCAHMS 1983
The largest building noted was 14.5m by 6.3m within walls built of rubble and earth and were up to 1.8m wide. A few buildings are reduced to foundation level. In the most complex area, three phases of structural history are represented (See MHG58679).
Five roofed, nineteen unroofed buildings, ten enclosures, a field-system (NM 336 964 to 344 956) and parts of a head-dyke are depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Argyllshire, Islands of Rum, Sanday etc., 1879, sheet lxvi). Within the boundary of the township are five groups of shieling-huts (NM39NW 20, 21, 25, 26, 34) and a group of cairns, enclosures and possible huts (NM39NW 3, 4, 27).
Three roofed buildings, one of which is annotated as a mausoleum (NM39NW 60), twenty-eight unroofed buildings, eight enclosures, the remains of the field-system and parts of a head-dyke are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1975).
Information from RCAHMS (SAH) 6 December 1996
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Blaeu, J. 1654. Theatrum Orbis Terrerum, sive Atlas Novus, Vol.5; Scotice et Hibernia. (Insulae quaedam minores Aebudis quae Mulam etc).
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Love, J A. 1983. The Isle of Rum: a short history. 11.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1983. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of Rhum, Lochaber District, Highland Region. . 10, No.27.
|Grid reference||Centred NM 3383 9589 (1515m by 983m)|
|Civil Parish||SMALL ISLES|
Related Monuments/Buildings (3)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM6434 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/21948 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.