MHG43261 - Station and Pier - Kyle of Lochalsh, Lochalsh
The Pier at Kyle of Lochalsh.
Type and Period (1)
- PIER (Undated)
For nearby (railway) hotel, see NG72NE 6.
Kyle of Lochalsh Station [NAT]
OS 1:10,000 map, 1974.
(Location cited as NG 763 279). Kyle of Lochalsh station and pier. Opened 1897 by the Highland Rly, engineer Murdoch Paterson.
J R Hume 1977. <1>
Highland Railway. Opened 2 November 1897.
J Thomas 1977. <2>
This site was noted in ARCH's Heritage Along the Kyle Line project in 2012. At the end of the pier was a 'cattle creep'. It was the only surviving one of four which allowed cattle, horses and sheep to be landed directly from steamers at any state of the tide, for onward shipment by train. Kyle Station dates from 1897, suggesting that the cattle creeps date to the early 1900s. Information from Peter Beck, ARCH Heritage Along the Kyle Line. A photograph of the cattle creep in 2011 was submitted. <3>
Photographs of the Kyle of Lochalsh pier were submitted by Martin Briscoe in May 2011. <4>
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Butt, R V J. 1995. The directory of railway stations: details every public and private passenger station, halt, platform and stopping place, past and present. 137.
- --- Text/Publication/Monograph: Gifford, J. 1992. Highland and Islands. The Buildings of Scotland. Paper (Original). 543.
- --- Image/Photograph(s): Briscoe, J M. 2011. Photographs of the Kyle of Lochalsh Pier. Colour digital. Yes. Digital.
- <1> Text/Publication/Volume: Hume, J R. 1977. The industrial archaeology of Scotland 2: The Highlands and Islands. Paper (Original). 290.
- <2> Text/Publication/Volume: Thomas, J. 1977. Railways of the Scottish Highlands Series Vol. 5: The Skye Railway. 125-8.
- <3> Dataset/Database File: Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands (ARCH). 2010-2012. Heritage Along the Kyle Line. Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands (ARCH). Yes. MDB. Site 30.
- <4> Image/Photograph(s): Briscoe, J M. 2011. Photographs of the Kyle of Lochalsh Pier. Colour digital. Yes. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NG 7624 2712 (73m by 126m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||SKYE AND LOCHALSH|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (4)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB6954 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- http://www.archhighland.org.uk/heritage-along-the-kyle-line.asp (Link to ARCH project page)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/11673 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
- www.archhighland.org.uk/news.asp?newsid=28 (View the ARCH Siteof the Month July 2010 item)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.