MHG9191 - Station and Pier - Kyle of Lochalsh, Lochalsh
Kyle of Lochalsh Train Station
Type and Period (1)
- RAILWAY STATION (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
For nearby (railway) hotel, see NG72NE 6.
Kyle of Lochalsh Station [NAT]
OS 1:10,000 map, 1974.
(Location cited as NG 763 279). Kyle of Lochalsh station and pier. Opened 1897 by the Highland Rly, engineer Murdoch Paterson.
J R Hume 1977. <1>
Highland Railway. Opened 2 November 1897.
J Thomas 1977. <2>
This site was noted in ARCH's 2010-2012 Heritage Along the Kyle Line project. A picture of the station, which had been converted into a museum by 2012, was submitted. <3>
Photographs of Kyle of Lochaslh train station were submitted by Martin Briscoe in May 2011. <4>
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Butt, R V J. 1995. The directory of railway stations: details every public and private passenger station, halt, platform and stopping place, past and present. 137.
- --- Text/Publication/Monograph: Gifford, J. 1992. Highland and Islands. The Buildings of Scotland. Paper (Original). 543.
- --- Image/Photograph(s): Taylor, A. 2009. Photographs of various HER sites by Andrew Taylor (CD 2). Colour. Yes. Digital.
- <1> Text/Publication/Volume: Hume, J R. 1977. The industrial archaeology of Scotland 2: The Highlands and Islands. Paper (Original). 290.
- <2> Text/Publication/Volume: Thomas, J. 1977. Railways of the Scottish Highlands Series Vol. 5: The Skye Railway. 125-8.
- <3> Dataset/Database File: Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands (ARCH). 2010-2012. Heritage Along the Kyle Line. Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands (ARCH). Yes. MDB. Site 28.
- <4> Image/Photograph(s): Briscoe, J M. 2011. Photographs of the Kyle of Lochalsh Train Station. Colour digital. Yes. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NG 7624 2712 (73m by 126m)|
|Geographical Area||SKYE AND LOCHALSH|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (3)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB6954 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- http://www.archhighland.org.uk/heritage-along-the-kyle-line.asp (Link to ARCH project page)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/11673 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.