MHG43569 - Geddes, St. Mary's Chapel and Graveyard

Summary

No summary available.

Type and Period (1)

  • FAIR (Undated)

Protected Status

Full Description

A monumental inscription survey carried out by some members of 'Highland Family History Society' 1983. Work included a plan, noting complete inscription and index of surnames. They recorded a number of blank stones and made notes of any symbolism of a total of 162 stones. This survey does not include photos of each stone. Please contact Chairperson, John Durham for copies of the report. JohnDurran@compuserve.com
J Aitken : 18/12/02
------
Report Library No. 965
A survey of memorial inscriptions by S Farrell, Sept, 2002.
The survey includes full inscription, including all genealogical information, type and style of monument, orientation and size, material used and a photograph of each stone. Report includes plan of graveyard.
J Aitken : 09/10/02
------
The memorials in the churchyard date from late 17th century to modern day. They are in a variety of styles including slabs, obelisks, pedestals, tablestones and headstones. The vast majority is in good condition, only a few being damaged or broken.
S Farrell, Sept. 2002
------
NH85SE 1 8882 5287.
St Mary's Chapel (In Ruins) OS 6" map, Nairnshire, 2nd ed. 1906

The Chapel of St Mary of Geddes is said to have been built 1220, but its first mention in a charter is1473. Until modern times church yard was site of an annual fair held on or about 5th of April.
G Bain 1893.

The building published as "St Mary's Chapel" is not an antiquity.
It was built as a private burial place for the Roses of Geddes and Kilravock and probably occupies site of original chapel. Possible traces of this chapel were found whilst digging a grave against north wall of burial-place (Info from Mr Caldow, Raitloan Farm, Cawdor, Nairnshire). Revised at 1/2500.
Visited by OS (N K B) 19 November 1965.

This chapel stood within a circular graveyard, but no identifiable traces of the building are now visible. The earliest legible tombstones are EC18th-century date.
RCAHMS 1978, visited May 1978.

Awaiting DES entry 98/036.

Sources/Archives (24)

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred NH 8885 5287 (100m by 100m)
Map sheet NH85SE
Civil Parish NAIRN
Geographical Area NAIRN

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (2)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.