MHG44070 - Borve
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- TOWNSHIP (Undated)
- FIELD SYSTEM (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
Centred on 445 485
A township, a farmstead and three field-systems are depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Inverness-shire, Isle of Skye 1881, sheet xxiii). (NG 436 493, NG 449 488 and NG 458 476) The township comprises five roofed buildings, which include a school, sixty-six unroofed buildings, several of which are either long, L-shaped or T-shaped buildings and a head-dyke. The farmstead (NG 453 477) comprises two roofed buildings, one unroofed building, an enclosure and a sheepfold.
A crofting township comprising forty-one roofed, two partially roofed and thirty-four unroofed buildings, their associated enclosures and field walls, a head-dyke, three field-systems and the farmstead comprising one unroofed and two roofed buildings are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10560 map (1968).
Information from RCAHMS (SAH) 16 October 1996
A walkover survey in October 2007 identified several dykes and areas of rig cultivation relating to the field system of Borve township. Other discrete features, such as enclosures and building remains, have been given individual site numbers. <1><2>
A watching brief during the cutting of a trench for a new water main identified the degraded remains of a turf and stone dyke at NG 4545 4798. The dyke runs NNE - E and is visible above ground to 0.8m at its highest point with a wall thickness of 1.6m. Much of the sub-structural stone appears to have been cleared from the dyke. <3>
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Wood, J.. 2007. Desk Based Assessment and Walk-over Survey: Borve to Edinbane, Isle of Skye - Water Main Renewal. Highland Archaeology Services Ltd. 25/10/2007. Digital. pp 10-12, Sites 1, 3, 4, 6, 7.
- <2> Verbal Communication: Tilbury, S. Comment by Sylvina Tilbury, HER Officer.
- <3> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: McCullagh, C. 01/2009. Archaeological Watching Brief: Borve - Edinbane Water Main Renewal. Highland Archaeology Services Ltd. 20/01/2009. Digital. Feature 2.
|Grid reference||Centred NG 4449 4850 (100m by 100m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||SKYE AND LOCHALSH|
Related Monuments/Buildings (5)
- Parent of: Borve (Monument) (MHG44071)
- Parent of: Borve (Monument) (MHG44072)
- Parent of: Building footings and dykes, north west of 19 Borve (Monument) (MHG51552)
- Parent of: Building footings SSW of 19 Borve (Monument) (MHG52505)
- Parent of: Site of farmstead and enclosures, west of Borve covered reservoir (Monument) (MHG51548)
Related Investigations/Events (2)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/119549 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.