MHG44438 - Angel statue, Brahan Castle
A statue of an angel marking the burial place of the last Lord Seaforth.
Type and Period (1)
- COMMEMORATIVE MONUMENT (19th Century to 20th Century - 1801 AD to 2000 AD)
- None recorded
Renumbered from NH55SW0087
Noted as a Dog's cemetery on OS 1:10000 map.
The statue of an angel marking the burial place of the last Lord Seaforth. The statue is surrounded by a low stone wall which is missing sections and has loose stones. Sits within the Seaforth Burial Enclosure. <1><2>
The inscription reads "“James Alexander Francis Humberston, Colonel Lord Seaforth, whose body rests in the place he loved so well, born 9th Oct 1847, passed away 3rd March 1923” and “ also of Mary Margaret, Lady Seaforth, whose body rests here, born 9th March 1862 died 1933” . <3>
- <1> Collection/Project Archive: Robinson, B; Scott, M; Wright, A. 03/2010. Highland Kirkyards: Ross and Cromarty. Highland Buildings Preservation Trust. 29/07/2010. Paper (Original).
- <2> Image/Photograph(s): Highlands Buildings Preservation Trust. 2009. Photographs of Ross and Cromarty Kirkyards. Colour. . Digital.
- <3> Text/Manuscript: Marshall, M. 01/2005. Archaeological record of a circular feature within the gardens of the former Brahan Castle, Ross-shire. Yes. Digital.
|Grid reference||NH 5139 5442 (point) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/105393 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.