MHG45241 - Motte and Bailey - Urquhart Castle
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- MOTTE AND BAILEY (Undated)
Drumnadrochit & Fort Augustus Local Plan, Oct. 1991: P13/2.39. Ancient Mons & Arch. Sites.
J Aitken : 24/05/01.
NH52NW 3 5305 2860
For bronze axes from Urquhart Castle, see NH52NW 7.
(NH 5305 2860) Urquhart Castle (NR) (Ruins) Drawbridge (NR) (Remains of) Fosse (NR)
OS 6" map, Inverness-shire, 2nd ed., (1905)
For full description see DoE guide 'Urquhart Castle'.
W D Simpson 1964
A portion of a penannular brooch of c.9th century date from Urquhart Castle is in the NMAS.
Information from C W Phillips
Urquhart Castle is as described and planned by DoE.
Visited by OS (R L) 11 Feburary 1970.
NH 530 286 An archaeological evaluation comprising geophysical survey and trial trenching was undertaken by Headland Archaeology Ltd between the moat and the A82 at Urquhart Castle. The evaluation was designed to investigate the impact of a proposed new visitor centre and car park on any preserved archaeological deposits. The geophysical surveys were undertaken by Archaeological Services WYAS.
The resistivity survey identified a large low resistance linear anomaly running E-W for c 35m and ending abruptly 140m W of the castle moat. A trench was cut across the anomaly and a large medieval clay-lined ditch was identified which measured 9m wide and 2.5m deep. Fragments of pottery dating from between the 13th and 15th centuries were found in the secondary fill, together with a number of medieval iron objects, a circular sharpening stone, a crucible fragment and burnt animal bone. An Early Modern bayonet was also recovered adjacent to the ditch although this is not believed to be associated with the feature. With the exception of one modern ditch no further archaeological features were identified in trial trenches.
Sponsor: Historic Scotland
C Moloney 1997
An archaeological excavation was carried out by Glasgow University Archaeological Research Division (GUARD) on a gravel terrace overlooking Urquhart Castle in advance of a new car park and visitor center. The aim of the excavation was to investigate any archaeological remains likely to be affected by the development. These include a possible ditch containing locally made medieval pottery, discovered during the evalution carried out in 1997.
GUARD exposed an area of 25m by 20m, centred on the evaluation trench, and uncovered a large square-shaped enclosure with the remains of cobbled surfaces and the stony foundations of structures to the west. In the east part of the enclosure, a large amount of boulders were uncovered which may be the remains of a building.
In the center of the trench, the upper layers of soil and gravel were removed to reveal layers of silts containing medieval pottery, charcoal and animal bones. Other finds include circular sharpening stone, iron nails, iron scale and an unidentifiable coin thought to be of medieval date. The presence of the iron slag suggests that a smithy may be close by.
The exact function of these archaeological remains is unclear; they may be the remains of houses and workshops of people based at the castle, who worked on surrounding agricultural estates. Alternatively, they may be the remains of earthworks and ditches created by people who had laid siege to the castle.
Sponsor: Historic Scotland
- --- SHG10416 Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph: J.S.Bone. Urquhart Castle. Colour Slide. .
- --- SHG1104 Text/Publication/Article: Clark, J. 1982. 'Medieval Britain in 1981', Medieval Archaeol Vol. 26 1982, p.164-227. Medieval Archaeol. 164-227. 219-220.
- --- SHG1131 Text/Publication/Article: Yeoman, P A. 1988. 'Mottes in Northeast Scotland', Scot Archaeol Rev Vol. 5 1988, p.125-33. Scot Archaeol Rev. 125-33. 131, no. 105.
- --- SHG13595 Image/Photograph(s): Urquhart Castle.. Colour Slide; Digital Image. .
- --- SHG13883 Image/Photograph(s): Urquhart Castle: GUARD excavations, monitoring visit.. Colour Slide; Digital Image. .
- --- SHG13884 Image/Photograph(s): Urquhart Castle: GUARD excavations, monitoring visit.. Colour Slide; Digital Image. .
- --- SHG13885 Image/Photograph(s): Urquhart Castle: GUARD excavations, monitoring visit.. Colour Slide; Digital Image. .
- --- SHG13886 Image/Photograph(s): Urquhart Castle: GUARD excavations, monitoring visit.. Colour Slide; Digital Image. .
- --- SHG1395 Text/Publication/Article: Alcock, L. & Alcock, E A. 1993. Reconnaissance excavations on Early Historic fortifications and other royal sites in Scotland, 1974-84; A, Excavations and other fieldwork at Forteviot, Perthshire, 1981; B, Excavations at Urquhart Castle, Inverness-shire, 1983; C, Excavations at Dunnot. Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland Vol. 122. 215-87. 242-67.
- --- SHG1433 Text/Publication/Article: Bateson, J D. 1990. 'Roman and medieval coins found in Scotland, to 1987', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 119 1989, p.165-88. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 165-88. 178.
- --- SHG14906 Image/Photograph(s): Urquhart. Colour Slide; Digital Image. .
- --- SHG14907 Image/Photograph(s): Urquhart. Colour Slide; Digital Image. .
- --- SHG14908 Image/Photograph(s): Urquhart. Colour Slide; Digital Image. .
- --- SHG1798 Text/Publication/Article: Moloney, C. 1997. 'Urquart Castle (Urquhart & Glenmoriston parish); evaluatio', Discovery and Excavation in Scotland 1997, p.52. Discovery and Excavation in Scotland. 52. 52.
- --- SHG1800 Text/Publication/Article: Tabraham, C J. 1981. 'Urquhart Castle (Urquhart and Glenmoriston p) castle bailey', Discovery and Excavation in Scotland 1981, p.19. Discovery and Excavation in Scotland. 19. 19.
- --- SHG1801 Text/Publication/Article: Alcock, L. 1985. 'Urquhart Castle (Urquhart and Glenmoriston p)', Discovery and Excavation in Scotland 1985, p.23-4. Discovery and Excavation in Scotland. 23-4. 23-4.
- --- SHG1802 Text/Publication/Article: Simpson, W D. 1930. 'Urquhart Castle', Trans Gaelic Soc Inverness Vol. 35 1929-30, p.51-82. Trans Gaelic Soc Inverness. 51-82. 51-82.
- --- SHG2053 Text/Publication/Volume: Close-Brooks, J. 1986. Exploring Scotland's Heritage: The Highlands. 100-2, No. 45.
- --- SHG2218 Text/Report: Foster, Driscoll and Alcock, S M, S T and L. 1985. Excavations at Urquhart and Dunnottar Castles, 1983 and 1984: interim reports. .
- --- SHG2247 Text/Publication/Monograph: Gifford, J. 1992. Highland and Islands. The Buildings of Scotland. Paper (Original). 216-21.
- --- SHG2416 Text/Publication/Volume: Lindsay and Reynolds, C and N. 1983. Urquhart Castle. rev..
- --- SHG2442 Text/Publication/Volume: MacGibbon, D and Ross, T. 1887-92. The castellated and domestic architecture of Scotland from the twelfth to the eighteenth centuries. Hardback. Vol. 3, 90-6.
- --- SHG2472 Text/Publication/Volume: MacKie, E W. 1975. Scotland: an archaeological guide: from the earliest times to the twelfth century. 209.
- --- SHG2795 Text/Publication/Volume: Simpson, Lindsay and Reynolds, W D, C and N. 1983. Urquhart Castle. rev..
- --- SHG2802 Text/Publication/Volume: Simpson, W D. 1964. Urquhart Castle.
- --- SHG2843 Text/Publication/Volume: Swan, J. 1837. Swan's views of the lakes of Scotland. p. 151-2; Engraving facing p. 151.
- --- SHG2847 Text/Publication/Volume: Tabraham and Stewart, C [J] and F. 1991. Urquhart Castle.
- --- SHG28608 Text/Publication/Volume: Simpson, W D. 1929. Urquhart Castle.
- --- SHG3102 Text/Publication/Article/Newspaper Article: Ross, J. 1997. Planners block 2.5m pound project for Urquhart Castle [newscutting]. The Scotsman.
- --- SHG3103 Text/Publication/Article/Newspaper Article: Ross, J. 1996. Planning row: 2.5m pound Historic Scotland development will spoil boom from Loch Ness film, say locals [Urquhart Castle, newscutting]. The Scotsman.
- --- SHG3126 Text/Publication/Article: Simpson, W D. 1951. Glen Urquhart and its castle: a study in environment. 316-31. p. 316-31.
- --- SHG3147 Text/Publication/Article: Alcock, L. 1981. Early historic fortifications in Scotland. 150-80. 150-80.
- --- SHG37 Text/Publication/Article: Batey, C E. 1992. 'A copper alloy pin from Urquhart Castle, Inverness-shire', Proc Soc Antiq Scot, Vol 122, pp 351-3.
- --- SHG43 Text/Publication/Article: Nisbet, H C. 1975. 'A geological approach to vitrified forts, part II: bedrock and building stone', Science and Archaeology, Vol 15, pp 3-16. p 13, No. 43.
- --- SHG4332 Image/Photograph(s): B/W Negative. .
- --- SHG4333 Image/Photograph(s): B/W Negative. .
- --- SHG7063 Image/Photograph(s): 123. Urquhart Castle. Unknown. .
- --- SHG7064 Image/Photograph(s): 125. Urquhart Castle. Nether Bailey. Unknown. .
- --- SHG744 Text/Publication/Article: Macdonald and Laing, A D S and L R. 1977. 'Excavations at Lochmaben Castle, Dumfriesshire', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 106 1974-5, p.124-57. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 124-57. (Appendix C by L R Laing) 154-6.
- --- SHG766 Text/Publication/Article: ISSFC. 1888. 'Excursion to Glen Urquhart, Saturday 3rd September 1881', Trans Inverness Sci Soc Fld Club Vol. 2 1880-3, p.137-147. Trans Inverness Sci Soc Fld Club. 137-147. 137-47.
- --- SHG790 Text/Publication/Article: Samson, R. 1982. 'Finds from Urquhart Castle in the National Museum, Edinburgh', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 112 1982, p.465-76. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 465-76. 465-76.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 5305 2860 (140m by 140m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Civil Parish||URQUHART AND GLENMORISTON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM90309 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/12547 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.