MHG45618 - Garvie Bay
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- BUILDING (Undated)
- None recorded
There is a hut-circle, a rectangular building, and two small areas of lazy-bed cultivation on the W side of Garvie Bay, about 200m WNW of the outfall from Loch Garvie. The hut-circle measures 10.4m NE-SW by 9.4m transversely within a bank 0.6m high and spread to 1.6m in thickness in which some inner-facing stones are visible (ACHIL94 465). The building (ACHIL94 466) overlies the N arc of the hut-circle wall. It is rectangular, built of faced-rubble with squared corners, and measures internally 6.2m NNW-SSE by 3m transversely. The walls are 0.6m thick and survive to a height of 0.5m. The entrance is in the WNW side.
On the gently-sloping ground around these two structures there are lazy-beds covering about 0.3ha, and a short distance to the SE, on the N shore of Loch Garvie at NC 0393 1366, there is another area of lazy-beds, extending to about 0.2ha. Passing between these two cultivated areas there is a bank which runs SW from the shore for about 140m before fading into boggy ground at NC 0382 1360.
Visited by RCAHMS (SDB) 10 August 1994
Site recorded during a survey of the intertidal zone and the coast edge (50m from the mean high tide mark) between the Rivers Ullapool and Culag.
Further details can be found in a report submitted to Historic Scotland.
NC 039 137 Circular kelp kiln, structure, weir.
Sponsors: Historic Scotland, Glasgow University Archaeology Department.
A Long 1996
|Grid reference||Centred NC 0389 1370 (30m by 30m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/116396 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.