MHG47418 - Clunes


The site of the former house of Clunes, Kirkhill.

Type and Period (1)

  • HOUSE (Undated)

Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

Clunes: Applies to a gentleman's residence it is of recent erection, built of red sand stone, two storys high, slated and in very good repair. Property of D Cameron. <1>

Two lodges (East and West) are also described in <1> (see MHG62244 and MHG62245).

The original name for the property was Fingask. The name 'Clunes' was given to the house by Donald Cameron after his old home in Lochaber. Donald Cameron also owned Fingask Mains. <2>

The house is described as 'of recent erection' in the OS Name Books entry. Presumably the former main house for the estate was to the east at the farmhouse Mains of Fingask [IS-L 25/03/2021].

Clunes House is depicted on 1st and 2nd edition OS maps.
Now demolished.

Sales pamphlet - missing at time of upgrade, 19/7/04 <3>

Additions and alterations to the house are noted in the Inverness Courier of 30/04/1885 as being undertaken by Alexander Ross. <4>

Sources/Archives (4)



Grid reference Centred NH 55259 45826 (40m by 39m)
Map sheet NH54NE
Civil Parish KIRKHILL
Geographical Area INVERNESS

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (2)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (1)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.