MHG52649 - Former fishing store, Portormin Harbour
A 19th-century fishing store, of which only a later extension survives.
Type and Period (2)
- GEAR STORE (Built, 19th Century - 1801 AD? to 1872 AD (at some time))
- GEAR STORE (Extended, 19th Century to 20th Century - 1872 AD to 1906 AD (at some time))
- None recorded
One of a group of three stores at Portormin Harbour. The store is depicted on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey map c.1872 and appears to have been extended some time during the late 19th or early 20th century. <1><2>
Only this two-storey extension now survives, with a later, single-storey addition to the north. Photographs of the building were submitted to the HER in June 2009 in connection with a planning application for change of use. <3>
- <1> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1871-3. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 25 inch map: Caithness (surveyed 1870-72). Digital.
- <2> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1906. Ordnance Survey 2nd edition 25 inch map: Caithness. Digital.
- <3> Image/Photograph(s): Unknown. 2009. Photographs of The Shore, Portormin. Colour. . Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 16531 29490 (37m by 46m) (Centred)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (0)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.