MHG52692 - Building 2, Brickigoe Croft


A ruined steading forming part of the farmstead at Brickigoe.

Type and Period (1)

  • STEADING (Built, 18th Century to 19th Century - 1750 AD to 1850 AD)

Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

This building was recorded by RCAHMS during a survey of the Yarrows area in 2004 (YARROWS04 470). The building measured 10.6m by 5m and consisted of two compartments separated by a mid-gable containing a window towards its north end. The western compartment had an entrance at the eastern end of the south wall. The eastern end appeared to be open-ended. <1>

The remains of this building were planned and photographed in May 2009 prior to demolition. The building is interpreted as a small steading, probably of the same period as Building 1. Two trial trenches were excavated across the wall footings which showed no evidence of an earlier structure. The west end appears to predate the east end as evidenced by a butt joint between the two. It is considered that the window mentioned in <1> is a partially degraded aumbry. The eastern end of the building was probably always open ended, possibly to accommodate a small cart. A small horse shoe was found in trench 9 at the western end of the building suggesting that this may have been a stable at some time.
It is proposed to demolish this building and use the stone to repair building 3. <2>

Sources/Archives (3)



Grid reference Centred ND 30135 44741 (10m by 4m) (2 map features)
Map sheet ND34SW
Civil Parish WICK
Geographical Area CAITHNESS

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Related Investigations/Events (4)

External Links (1)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.