MHG52693 - Building 3, Brickigoe Croft
A later 19th-century crofthouse forming part of the farmstead at Brickigoe.
Type and Period (1)
- CROFTHOUSE (Built, 19th Century - 1850 AD to 1872 AD (at some time))
- None recorded
This building was recorded by RCAHMS during a field survey of the Yarrows area in 2004. At the time of the survey the building was thatched and still in use, measuring 14m by 5.5m. <1>
The building was planned and photographed in May 2009 to comply with a condition on planning consent for a new house. The building is to be repaired and retained. The building comprises a flag-floored, single phase dwelling built of clay bonded Caithness flagstone with sandstone details. The entrance is in the southern elevation with two windows to the north and one to the south. The west elevation originally had two windows, but the one close to the north gable is now blocked. Both gables had fireplaces. The one at the southern end had seen the most use and at the time of the survey an iron chain was still in place for supporting cooking vessels. A press is built into the north gable to the left of the fireplace. There is evidence for subdivision of the dwelling into three rooms with a lobby entry plan.
The building was no longer roofed by this time, but had been roofed in turf and soft rush (Juncus effusus). The roof structure comprised a collar beam A frame set on the wall head, consistent with late 19th-century practice in Caithness. <2>
Puls, A, Site Visit Photographs, 04/12/2007 (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG23993.
<1> RCAHMS, Canmore, online database of the Royal Commission for the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS), 89866 (Interactive Resource/Online Database). SHG23282.
<2> Humphreys, P and Wood, J, 06/2009, Brickigoe Croft, Thrumster: Building Recording, Trial Trenching Evaluation (Text/Report/Fieldwork Report). SHG24420.
- --- Image/Photograph(s): Puls, A. Site Visit Photographs. Colour. . Digital. 04/12/2007.
- <1> Interactive Resource/Online Database: RCAHMS. Canmore, online database of the Royal Commission for the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS). 89866.
- <2> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Humphreys, P and Wood, J. 06/2009. Brickigoe Croft, Thrumster: Building Recording, Trial Trenching Evaluation. Highland Archaeology Services Ltd. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 30152 44745 (7m by 15m) (Centred)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (4)
External Links (1)
- http://canmore.rcahms.gov.uk/en/site/183593/details/brickigoe/ (View the entry for this site on RCAHMS Canmore website)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.