MHG54136 - Carbon Factory, Kinlochleven
The former site of a carbon factory, largely demolished in the 1980s. It manufactured carbon pastes and anodes used in the adjacent smelter.
Type and Period (1)
- WORKS (20th Century - 1901 AD to 2000 AD)
- None recorded
The caron silos and bunkers, adjacent to the power house, were formerly Grade B Listed. P W Meik, (Thomas Meik and Sons) chief engineer, Alfred H Roberts, resident engineer, Sir W Murray Morrison, manager and technical advisor, Sir John Jackson Ltd, principal contractor. 1904-9. 3 tall rubble- built ranges, including early re-inforced concrete silos, forming 3 sides of the carbon factory which was largely demolished in 1989. <1>
The first area of land to be transferred to KLDT was the former carbon factory site, an area of approximately 1.5 hectares which had been redundant since the mid 1980s. The site housed the former carbon bunkers, which were B-listed, and the former laboratory block. The site was formerly used for the storage of carbon materials and the manufacture of carbon pastes and anodes used in the smelter process. <2>
The site of the carbon silos and bunkers is presumed to lie immediately adjacent to the power house, a site shown as works on both 2nd edition and 5th edition Ordnance Survey mapping. In a photograph attached to a Canmore record for the pipeline, buildings are clearly visible in this area. The carbon factory was largely demolished in 1989. <3><4>
- <1> SHG24041 Dataset: Historic Scotland. Information Supplementary to the Statutory List (This information has no legal significance). Digital. HB Number 12926.
- <2> SHG25027 Interactive Resource/Webpage: Booth, S. Village Regeneration: Kinlochleven - A Highland Village Reborn. Yes.
- <3> SHG24799 Verbal Communication: Carey, G. 2010-2011. Comment by Giles Carey, HER Officer.
- <4> SHG23282 Interactive Resource/Online Database: RCAHMS. Canmore, online database of the Royal Commission for the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS). Canmore ID 76446.
|Grid reference||Centred NN 1900 6177 (235m by 206m)|
|Civil Parish||LISMORE AND APPIN|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://canmore.rcahms.gov.uk/en/site/76446/details/kinlochleven+aluminium+works+pipeline/ (View the image on Canmore)
- http://www.caledonia.org.uk/socialland/kinlochl.htm (Read more information on the Carbon Factory)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.