MHG54307 - Probable cist and associated linear feature, Ness Gap, Fortrose
A stone-lined pit covered by a capstone and associated with a linear feature.
Type and Period (2)
- DITCH? (Bronze Age - 2400 BC? to 551 BC?)
- SHORT CIST? (Early Bronze Age - 2400 BC? to 1501 BC?)
- None recorded
A stone-lined pit  was partially investigated during trial trenching in October 2010. It was lined by an arrangement of naturally rounded stones and covered by a capstone measuring approximately 0.8m x 0.55m. The fill  was sampled and produced a single fragment of burnt bone and charcoal too small for dating purposes. Associated with the pit was a linear feature  which seemed to abut it, although very little of the feature was visible in the trench. The features require further investigation. <1><2>
This possible cist was not convincingly rediscovered during a later watching brief for topsoil stripping by Headland Archaeology in October 2014. The natural deposits in this area were particularly stony and such shallow remains were not easy to identify. The existing interpretation of this feature as a possible fragmentary cist could not be verified or challenged. <3>
A final report was published in 2020. This included post-excavation and radiocarbon dating results. <4>
- <1> SHG25197 Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Marshall, N C et al. 02/2011. Ness Gap, Fortrose: Results of an Archaeological Evaluation (Areas B-G). Headland Archaeology Ltd. Digital.
- <2> SHG25199 Text/Report: Haston, S-J. 02/2011. '5. Environmental Assessment' in Ness Gap, Fortrose: Results on an Archaeological Evaluation (Areas B-G). Headland Archaeology Ltd. . Digital.
- <3> SHG26697 Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: van Wessel, J.. 2014. Monitored Topsoil Strip - Ness Gap, Fortrose. Headland Archaeology Ltd. Digital. XY
- <4> SHG28593 Text/Publication/Monograph: Christie, C. 2020. The Excavation of Neolithic Pits and a Bronze Age Burial Site at Ness Gap, The Excavation of Neolithic Pits and a Bronze Age Burial Site at Ness Gap, The Excavation of Neolithic Pits and a Bronze Age Burial Site at Ness Gap, Fortrose. Scottish Archaeological Internet Report. SAIR 91. Online.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 7319 5649 (1m by 2m)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (2)
External Links (2)
- http://journals.socantscot.org/index.php/sair/issue/view/303 (Link to published report online (SAIR 91))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/332446/fortrose-ness-gap (Link to online HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.