MHG54926 - Boundary marker, south east of Essich
A stone boundary marker with the initials M and D.
Type and Period (2)
- BOUNDARY STONE (19th Century to 20th Century - 1801 AD? to 1933 AD?)
- MARKER STONE (19th Century to 20th Century - 1801 AD? to 1933 AD?)
- None recorded
A stone boundary marker was noted in the fence line to the north of the gateway into the field where Knocknagael substation is being constructed. It is probably 19th or possibly early 20th century in date. It seems to have the initials M D placed over either a T or an indication of a 3 way boundary junction with M on one side and D on the other. <1>
NB another nearby marker stone is inscribed with the date 1794 (see MHG52760). <2>
This boundary stone was also noted during a watching brief that took place during test pitting for a water main. It is reported as a previously unrecorded stone but is in fact this one. The photograph in the report shows the vegetation to have been cut down exposing the bottom of the stone and a new fence erected. <3>
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Fraser, L et al. 10/2010. Knocknagael Substation, Inverness: Archaeological Watching Brief - Intrastructure Works (Towers and Temporary Haul Roads). Highland Archaeology Services Ltd. Digital.
- <2> Verbal Communication: Tilbury, S. Comment by Sylvina Tilbury, HER Officer.
- <3> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Wood, J and Farrell, S. 11/2011. Knocknagael Substation, Inverness: Water Main - Watching Brief. Highland Archaeology Services Ltd. Digital. p 9, Feature 4.
|Grid reference||NH 6511 3899 (point)|
|Civil Parish||INVERNESS AND BONA|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (3)
External Links (0)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.