MHG58009 - Lade/ditch, Ambraig, Allt Calg Choire
Lade/ditch, Ambraig, Allt Calg Choire
Type and Period (2)
- LADE? (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- DITCH (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
Allt Calg Choire
This place name was selected to cover most of the lower ground at Barrisdale, west of the Barrisdale River, and it includes the farmstead of Ambraigh and the two farmsteads at Tomnaheilde. These sites were recorded by NOSAS in 2004 as part of an archaeological survey of Inner Loch Hourn.
Comparatively little was identified in this large area at the head of the bay. The tidal saltings cover an area of perhaps 3ha and the rest is very marshy or peaty. However on the west side of the bay close under the steep slope there is a raised area of well drained sandy ground. Roy’s map of 1750 shows a settlement here and some small areas of cultivation remains were noted but the only structure to be found was the more recent sheepfold, possibly built using any stone from the original buildings. 22 sites were identified here in total, and most appear to relate to the later agricultural improvement period. The farmstead at Tomnaheilde ‘East’ i.e. east of the Allt Gleann Unndalain, appears to be more recent than the farmstead west of the burn. None of the higher ground was prospected.
Site: 616. A possible lade or drainage ditch. It is 4m wide and 2m deep, and may have been recently cleaned out. It runs in a N/S direction with the S end terminating at a former stream bed and at its N end in the River Barrisdale. The 'ditch' cuts an earth bank, recorded as site 615, at 187121 803574. It is shown on the 1st edition OS map. <1>
NGR adjusted based on 2012 APs <2>
1st Edition OS 6" <3>
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Wombell, J.. 2004. A Report on the Archaeological Survey of Inner Loch Hourn and Barrisdale Bay by Members of NOSAS. North of Scotland Archaeological Society. Digital. p.17 Site 616.
- <2> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 2012. Getmapping aerial photography 2012. XY
- <3> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1873-6. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 6 inch map: Inverness-shire. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NG 8716 0361 (36m by 266m)|
|Geographical Area||SKYE AND LOCHALSH|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (0)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.