MHG60609 - Dolphin Brooch - Ospisdale
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- FINDSPOT (Roman - 79 AD to 409 AD)
- None recorded
A Romano-British ‘dolphin’ brooch was found during metal detecting near Ospisdale. Claimed as Treasure Trove (TT 156/13), allocated to Dornoch History Links. <1>
Information from the Treasure Trove database describes a Romano-british copper alloy sprung dolphin brooch. Pin missing and slight trace of silvering. See attached Treasure Trove artefact report. <2> <3>
Historylinks museum Acc. No. 2014_043_14. <4>
This brooch is pictured on the Dornoch Historylinks Image Library, No. 12175. See link below. <5>
- <1> Text/Publication/Article: Hunter, F. 2014. Creich, Ospisdale, Metal detector find, Discovery Excav Scot, New, vol. 15. Discovery and Excavation in Scotland. 101. Online. pp. 101.
- <2> Dataset/Database File: Treasure Trove. 2019. Highland Finds from Treasure Trove Annual Reports 2004-18. Treasure Trove. Digital. TT 156/13.
- <3> Text/Record Form: Treasure Trove. 2019. Treasure Trove Artefact Reports for Highland Area 1994-2018. Treasure Trove. Digital. TT 156/13.
- <4> Text/Record Form/Project Recording Form: Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands (ARCH). 2019. Finds Collection at Historylinks Museum. 2014_043_14.
- <5> Interactive Resource/Online Database: Dornoch Historylinks. Dornoch Historylinks Image Library. No. 12175. XY
|Grid reference||Centred NH 7173 8955 (20m by 20m)|
- DOLPHIN BROOCH (Roman - 79 AD to 409 AD)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://www.historylinksarchive.org.uk/picture/number12175.asp (Link to online Dornoch Historylinks Image Library)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/351606/ospisdale (Link to online HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.