MHG7217 - Chapel, Chapel Hill
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CHAPEL (Undated)
- None recorded
NH95SE 15 956 515.
A Catholic chapel is supposed to have stood on Chapel Hill, a small cultivated knoll in a field a short distance east of Easter Clune farmhouse. The site cannot be identified.
A carved stone, dug up during trenching operations, was taken to the Nairn Museum by Dr Griggor (Name Book 1869).
The site of the chapel is still marked in the Chapelfield.
G Bain 1928
There is no trace and no local knowledge of the site of the chapel. Visited by OS (RL) 5 January 1971
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Bain, G. 1893. History of Nairnshire. 2nd ed.. 94.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1978. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of Nairn District, Highland Region. . 16, No. 116.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Name Book (County). Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey. Book No.3, 65.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 9559 5150 (40m by 40m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (3)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/15570 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.