MHG20600 - Achinduich
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- HUT CIRCLE (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
- DYKE (Bronze Age - 2400 BC? to 551 BC?)
- None recorded
Renumbered from NC50SE0090B
NC50SE 90.02 5839 0067
A possible hut-circle associated with dykes and terraces (NMRS MS 738/29, no.3) was recorded, within the head-dyke of Auchinduich township (NC50SE 90.00), during the course of a pre-afforestation survey by AOC (Scotland) Ltd. The possible hut-circle measures 12m in diameter overall and is defined by an embanked earth and rubble bank. The interior is slightly scarped and quarried. It is appended on the E, or upslope side of a low earth and stone dyke which has, itself been incorporated into the head-dyke of the township. Poorly defined terraces on the N side of the hut-circle may trepresent contemporary cultivation or house sites.
J O'Sullivan and C Burgess, AOC (Scotland) Ltd, 1996; NMRS MS 738/29
A walkover survey in April 2009 noted a field dyke, possibly that mentioned above, running midway between two electricity pylons which are earmarked for maintenance work. The report recommends that every effort be made to minimise damage to the feature, perhaps by identifying any gap through which vehicles could pass. <1>
- --- Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: O'Sullivan J. 1996. Archaeological survey at Cnoc Torr an Leamhain, Highland Region.. AOC (Scotland) Ltd. 06/03/1996. Digital (scanned as PDF).
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Scotia Archaeology. 05/2009. Cassley to Shin: desk study. Scotia Archaeology. Digital. Site 60.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 5839 0067 (100m by 100m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (2)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/100048 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.