MHG52916 - Mounds, Latheronwheel
A series of eight mounds and depressions not considered to be natural.
Type and Period (5)
- MOUND (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- CLEARANCE CAIRN? (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- CIST? (Bronze Age - 2400 BC? to 551 BC?)
- BURIAL CAIRN? (Bronze Age - 2400 BC? to 551 BC?)
- QUARRY? (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
A series of mounds and depressions, not considered to be natural:
a) three large hollows, grass-covered, traces of bedrock, amorphous. Dimensions 8.3 x 4m
b) large slab of stone set at 45 degrees above another, with stone chock between. Also amorphous depressions and grass-covered mounds. Dimensions 10.3 x 6m
c) slightly curving grass-covered bank with projecting upright slabs. Dimensions 13 x 14m
d) small area delimited by short upright stones, possibly a stone setting. Dimensions 10 x 16m
e) grass-covered stony mound with exposed section in SE part. Dimensions 7 x 7m
f) eliptical grass-covered mound, stones visible, small depression in centre. Dimensions 10.4 x 10.7m
g) rectangular stone setting, possibly a slab-lined grave. Four large stones in the vicinity probably associated. Traces of damaged grass-covered mound on seaward side. Dimensions 7.5 x 4.8m. <1>
The majority of these features could not be investigated during a walkover survey in 2011 due to the density of gorse and scrub in the area. In the northern part of Area A no features were found in the locations given. It is recommended that the area is revisited once the scrub has been cut down. <2>
As part of the archaeological survey work the features described by Batey were digitised from the plans in the 1984 report and this now forms part of the spatial depiction of this record. <3>
A number of the features noted in <1> were rediscovered during a watching brief that took place during scrub clearance in 2011. <4>
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Batey, C E. 1984. Caithness Coastal Survey 1980-82: Dunnet Head to Ousdale. University of Durham, Department of Archaeology. 30/01/1984. Digital (scanned as PDF). LAT 262.
- <2> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Wood, J. 06/2011. Shore Park, Latheronwheel, Caithness: Archaeological Survey. Highland Archaeology Services Ltd. Digital.
- <3> Verbal Communication: Tilbury, S. Comment by Sylvina Tilbury, HER Officer. 22/08/2011.
- <4> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Humphreys, P. 01/2012. Shore Park, Latheronwheel, Caithness: Gorse Clearance - Watching Brief Report. Highland Archaeology Services Ltd. Digital. Features 1, 2, 3.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 1864 3251 (171m by 104m) (Approximate)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (3)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/8153 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.