MHG52935 - Farmstead and associated remains, east of Allt Guin Shuas
The remains of a farmstead comprising a house and attached byre with associated clearance cairns, cultivation remains and boundary walls.
Type and Period (7)
- CLEARANCE CAIRN (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- CULTIVATION REMAINS (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- FARMSTEAD (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- FIELD BOUNDARY (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- BOUNDARY DYKE (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- PEN? (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- SHIELING HUT? (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
On a gently sloping ground 25 metres east of the Allt Guin Shuas, at 28 metres OD, are the remains of a small ruinous farmstead. The combined stone-built house and byre measure 11.0 metres by 5.0 metres over walls 1.0 metre thick, and are on a north-south alignment. Unusually, the 0.8 metre wide door is situated in the north-west corner of the structure, with a further possible entrance in the east wall. Standing to a maximum height of 0.8 metres, the structure is situated amidst a complex of clearance cairns, cultivation plots and boundary walls.
On the east bank of the stream, 20 metres south-west of the farm are the degraded remains of a stone-built circular cell measuring 2.0 metres diameter over walls 0.8 metres thick. This may have been a shieling or small pen. <1>
This site was visited during a walkover survey in August 2009. The site was found to be covered in bracken, though the building could be traced aligned NE-SW. A stretch of boundary wall runs west towards the stream. A clearance cairn was visible at NG 62167 27463, measuring 2m by 2.6m on a west-facing slope to the south of the house. No other features were visible due to the bracken. <2>
- <1> Text/Report: Birch, S. April 2001. Scalpay WGS: Archaeological Survey of Proposed Planting Areas. West Coast Archaeological Services. . Digital. Site 9.
- <2> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Farrell, S. 08/2009. Report of Archaeological Desktop & Walkover Survey, Scalpay Woods, Scalpay, Highland. Unaffiliated. Digital. Site 5.
|Grid reference||Centred NG 6214 2752 (60m by 60m) (Approximate)|
|Geographical Area||SKYE AND LOCHALSH|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (2)
External Links (0)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.