MHG55101 - Carriage/implement shed, The Square, Roshven Estate
Described by Historic Scotland as a carriage/implement shed, this building forms part of The Square, Roshven Estate, lying to the north-west of the mill/threshing barn.
Type and Period (4)
- DAIRY (Built, 19th Century - 1860 AD to 1860 AD (circa))
- STABLE? (Built, 19th Century - 1856 AD to 1856 AD (post))
- SHED (Built, 19th Century - 1860 AD to 1860 AD (circa))
- CARRIAGE HOUSE (Built, 19th Century - 1860 AD to 1860 AD (circa))
This building is described by Historic Scotland as follows (but see below):
CARRIAGE/IMPLEMENT SHED: to NW of barn/granary range, near-square in plan with gabled with tall round arch to N gable, rounded corner corbelled to square by eaves. Roofless range adjoining to E. <1>
Ken Bowker has submitted detailed notes about this building complex. He describes this part of the complex as a dairy and a building probably used as stables, as well as two other buildings, probably used for storage or workshops. He also notes that the name "Roshven Home Farm" as used above is not known or recognised locally. <2>
Modern aerial photography shows another building immediately east of the range depicted on Mastermap. Ken Bowker indicates this on his plan and suggests that it may formerly have been workshops. This building is indicated on the HER in relation to the other mapped buildings - it should be noted that the Ordnance Survey Mastermap data seems to be highly inaccurate in this area. The function of the feature to the north-east of this complex, as shown on Mastermap, is not known. The attribute data merely describes this as a "General Feature". <3><4>
Ken Bowker photographed the buildings at The Square in October 2011. <5>
- <1> Dataset: Historic Scotland. Information Supplementary to the Statutory List (This information has no legal significance). Digital. HB Number 43852.
- <2> Text/Manuscript: Bowker, K. 2011. Notes and corrections for various sites at Roshven. Yes. Digital.
- <3> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 1999-2011. Get Mapping 25cm resolution colour vertical aerial photography. Date of image 03/05/2007.
- <4> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey Mastermap. Digital. TOID 1000000387933874.
- <5> Image/Photograph(s): Bowker, K. 10/2011. Photographs of buildings at Roshven. Colour. Yes. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NM 7095 7863 (19m by 12m)|
|Civil Parish||ARISAIG AND MOIDART|
Related Monuments/Buildings (4)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://canmore.rcahms.gov.uk/en/site/174554/details/roshven+house+the+square/ (View information held by RCAHMS in Canmore)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB43852 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.