MHG45318 - Mill and threshing barn, The Square, Roshven Estate


An overshot mill and threshing barn forming part of The Square, Roshven Estate.

Type and Period (5)

  • (Former Type) BARN (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
  • WATERMILL (Built, 19th Century - 1860 AD to 1860 AD)
  • THRESHING BARN (Built, 19th Century - 1860 AD to 1860 AD)
  • THRESHING MILL (Built, 19th Century - 1860 AD to 1860 AD)
  • GRANARY? (19th Century - 1860 AD? to 1860 AD?)

Protected Status

Full Description

This L-shaped building is described by Historic Scotland as follows (but see below):
BARN/GRANARY: L-plan 2-storey barn/granary. W range with rounded S gable, irregular fenestration and wallhead stack to W elevation to right and forestair to door to upper door to left of E elevation. N range with arrowslit ventilation in E gable, adjoining W range to W with loft door by re-entrant angle. <1>

There is some confusion about the purpose of these buildings. Ken Bowker has submitted detailed notes about this building complex.
Whilst the listing describes this L-shaped building as a barn and granary, it appears from local information that the building in fact comprised a two-storey overshot mill which powered a threshing barn via a gear system. The mill was fed via a leet from a millpond to the south, now in the grounds of Blair's Cottage. Local people remember the leather belts of the threshing mechanism. The threshing barn still has slotted drying windows, so may have also been a granary, although a separate corrugated iron silo, now demolished, was built in the 1950s for this purpose.
The whole mill complex is now a private house. The mill wheel was destroyed in 1955 or thereabouts and sold for scrap. <2>

Ken Bowker also reports that the name "Home Farm", as previously attributed to this record, is not known or recognised locally. The record has now been renamed to reflect the name assigned by Historic Scotland. <2><3>

The above information is further confirmed by Mary Miers, who describes The Square as "a fine group comprising: mill, round-ended by 1890, with lade and part of machinery for overshot wheel still in situ (being converted to a house); slit-vented barn at right angles". She goes on to describe the cart shed/granary (see MHG45316). <4>

Ken Bowker photographed the buildings at The Square in October 2011. <5>

Sources/Archives (5)



Grid reference Centred NM 7095 7862 (11m by 17m) (2 map features)
Map sheet NM77NW
Geographical Area LOCHABER

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (6)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (2)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.