MHG11180 - Cnoc a Gharbh Leathaid
A hut circle settlement consisting of seven stone walled huts, up to 15.5m diameter, were first recorded by the Ordnance Survey. An associated field system, clearance cairns and other features were also recorded.
Type and Period (2)
- HUT CIRCLE SETTLEMENT (Early Bronze Age to Late Iron Age - 2400 BC to 560 AD)
- FIELD SYSTEM (Early Bronze Age to Late Iron Age - 2400 BC to 560 AD)
- None recorded
Centred NC 768 101 A settlement of seven stone walled huts ('A'-'G') with an associated field system was found during field investigation on the SE-facing slopes of Cnoc a' Garbh-leathaid. With the exception of hut 'C', all are oval and of similar, substantial construction, varying in internal diameter from 15.5m by 12.5m to 10.0m by 9.0m, the longer axis being in each case through the entrance in the SE. Occasional inner and outer facing stones on edge can be seen, indicating an average wall thickness of 1.6m. In the best-presented hut, 'F', portal stones remain forming a splayed entrance. Hut 'C' is circular 9.0m in diameter with a much narrower wall then the others.
The field system, occupying about four hectares includes a number of cultivation plots average size 30.0m by 20.0m, which are delineated by field clearance heaps and lynchets, with some heather-covered field walls in evidence. (See NC71SE 31 for type-site). Hut 'G' lies outside the cultivated area.
Surveyed at 1:10,560.
Visited by OS (N K B) 17 December 1975.
The seven huts of the hut circle settlement, and the associated features of the field system were recorded during walkover survey in April and May 2010. A number of features, additional to those already surveyed by the Ordnance Survey, were recorded. Please see associated records for further information on individual hut circles. <1>
The Ordnance Survey maps seven hut circles; the walkover survey in 2010 recorded eight hut circles, with a slight discrepancy between GPS-derived poisitions and extents of huts as mapped by the OS. Explanations have been given in individual records where discrepancies occur. <2><3>
- <1> SHG24936 Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Lindsay, N. 05/2010. Sciberscross, Clyne, Sutherland: A Report on an Archaeological Walk-Over Survey. Unaffiliated. Digital.
- <2> SHG24799 Verbal Communication: Carey, G. 2010-2011. Comment by Giles Carey, HER Officer.
- <3> SHG23361 Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey Mastermap. Digital. XY
|Grid reference||Centred NC 7687 1016 (247m by 278m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (14)
- Parent of: Clearance cairn, Sciberscross (Monument) (MHG53926)
- Parent of: Clearance cairn, Sciberscross (Monument) (MHG53929)
- Parent of: Clearance cairn, Sciberscross (Monument) (MHG53934)
- Parent of: Clearance cairn, Sciberscross (Monument) (MHG53936)
- Parent of: Hut circle, Sciberscross (Monument) (MHG53927)
- Parent of: Hut circle, Sciberscross (Monument) (MHG53930)
- Parent of: Hut circle, Sciberscross (Monument) (MHG53931)
- Parent of: Hut circle, Sciberscross (Monument) (MHG53933)
- Parent of: Hut circle, Sciberscross (Monument) (MHG53935)
- Parent of: Hut circle, Sciberscross (Monument) (MHG53940)
- Parent of: Irregular stone dyke, Sciberscross (Monument) (MHG53937)
- Parent of: Pit, Sciberscross (Monument) (MHG53923)
- Parent of: Pit, Sciberscross (Monument) (MHG53925)
- Parent of: Possible Hut circle, Sciberscross (Monument) (MHG53928)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/6081 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.